GCC Health Information Management Team
The idea of initiating the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) Health Information Management collaboration emerged during the GCC Healthcare Innovation Congress in May 2016 during a collaborative workshop with AHIMA that entitled "Healthcare Transformation in GCC: how to deal with health data and information challenges". This idea has been raised and recommended by Dr Salim Al Salmi, Associate dean for Heath Information Management Oman College of Health Sciences and Mr Hussein Al Bishi, President of Saudi Health Information Management Association.
In October 2016 at the International Federation of Health Information Management Associations (IFHIMA) Congress in Tokyo, Mr Hussein Al Bishi publicised the establishment of GCC Health Information Management Team, in conjunction with the launch of SHIMA.
With the support of SHIMA, GCC Health Information Management Team brings together committed members to volunteer from GCC countries, intending to strengthen Health Information Management profession and professionals in the region. Since then, GCC Health Information Management Team has initiated bringing together the common professional challenges in the area that requires to be highlighted.
To become the GCC region's professional leader at advocating and managing quality Health Information
Our Team, GCC Health Information Management, exists to support Health Information Management professionals in the region and give the power to build a professional entity that will lead the development/growth in the Health Information Management field
- Support Health Information Management Professionals regionally at all the levels of the health care system.
- Identify the best strategies to standardize Health Information Management laws, procedures and protocols in the GCC region.
- Consult international experts to advice on the strategy and objectives of developing Health Information Management in the GCC countries.
- Provide cultural and organizational view on various developments and emerging challenges in the field of Health Information Management in the region.
- Assess the current status of Health Information Management practices in the GCC countries.
- Strengthen Health Information Management’s position and reputation in the GCC and international community.
- Assist in identifying opportunities associated with partnership and cooperation in health information management, education and research institutions at the Gulf and international levels.
- Encourage cooperation and develop effective means of communication among specialists in the field of health information management in the GCC countries.
- Elucidate the competencies and capabilities of the academic and training programs in the field of Health Information Management to government and private health institutions in the GCC countries.
- Establish a coordination mechanism for the joint initiatives and projects among the GCC countries.
- Seek funding sources for projects of the GCC region voluntary committee for Health Information Management.
- Recommend and participate in seminars, workshops and conferences to develop the field of Health Information Management.
- Work to create an official entity for the Health Information Management profession in the Executive Office of the GCC Ministry of Health.
- Prepare and raise various awareness programs through lectures, seminars and social media to educate and raise awareness of the importance of Health Information Management profession.
- Develop and strengthen cooperation with regional and international organizations to contribute to the exchange of expertise and information and keep pace with scientific and technical development in the field of Health Information Management.
- Encourage studies and research in the field of Health Information Management and Informatics.
- Collaborate with various organizations and teams to enhance the skills and competencies of Health Information Management.